Basilica del Redentore

Fiorenza Corner, the wife of Pietro Trevisan, and Teodosia Scripiana built a church, dedicated to St. Mary of the Angels, and a convent at the Giudecca which they gave to fra’ Bonaventura degli Emmanueli in 1541. In the same year they also welcomed the Capucins, dressing in their habits, but after their leader Bernardino Ochino became apostate and abandoned the order, they resumed the habit of the Observants and threw out the newcomers.
In 1546 they founded a small convent in another part of the Giudecca which was called “Monte dei Corni”, because the horns of all the cattle and other animals slaughtered in Venice were dumped there. Only in 1548, when fra’ Bonaventura died, did they return to St. Mary of the Angels. In 1575 and 1576 there was a terrible pestilence in Venice, and the Republic vowed to raise a sumptuous basilica to the Redeemer when the plague ceased, and to in fact build it close to the church of St. Mary of the Angels.
The plague actually ran its course in 1577, and the sacred building, designed by Palladio, was consecrated in 1592 and later was given to the Capucin order, who then enlarged it. The sacresty, which is entered from the choir, is particularly interesting as it is rich in works of art and relics of the Franciscan order.
1577.
Il sacro edificio, disegnato dal Palladio, ebbe consacrazione nel 1592, e dopo venne concesso ai Cappuccini, che ampliarono il convento. Particolarmente interessante la sacrestia, dalla quale si accede dal coro, ricca di opere d’arte e di reliquie dell’ordine francescano. Era prescritto sotto la Repubblica che nel giorno del SS. Redentore (terzo sabato del mese di luglio di ogni anno) il tempio a lui sacro fosse visitato dal doge, e dalla Signoria. Tuttora, in tal giorno, si unisce Venezia alla Giudecca con un ponte di barche, e si celebra la vigilia della festività con illuminazioni, cene, ed altre allegrezze.

no images were found

Some available hotels near this place